Referendum Petition Update: Because we are verifying signatures prior to submitting petitions to the city we need to have all petitions returned to a drop off location or returned through mail by Tuesday, July 1
The actual, official deadline for submitting No UNequal Rights referendum petitions to the City of Houston is Thursday, July 3
(Determined by Houston City Charter Article VII-B, Section 3, and the official publication date of the ordinance as June 3, 2014)
- MUST be a registered voter in the City of Houston to SIGN OR COLLECT signatures
- Petition signatures MUST be collected AND witnessed by a person registered to vote IN THE CITY OF HOUSTON who then must have EACH sheet notarized.
- Petitions can be delivered to a Drop Off Location or mailed to the address below.
- EVERY petition sheet must be notarized, even if an individual collects multiple sheets of signatures (e.g. three sheets of signatures completed, all three sheet require the notary stamp.)
Referendum Petition information and instructions
Complete step-by-step instructions are available for download below, so any registered voter in the city of Houston (who is eligible to vote for mayor and city council) may download and sign as well as to gather signatures.*
We must receive petitions with any amount of signatures (again having been notarized) at a drop point or by mail NO LATER THAN Friday, June 27 so they can be validated prior to submitting the minimum of 17,000 signatures to the Houston City Secretary in order to qualify the referendum.
Once the signatures are submitted and certified, the ordinance is suspended until either the Houston City Council repeals the ordinance – which we deem extremely unlikely – or votes to place it on the November 4, 2014 ballot.
The petition is available for download HERE, so please complete the form that authorizes downloading and allows us to keep in touch with you in this phase as well as going in to the voting phase this Fall.
* – Each petition page is required to be notarized prior to sending to us for verification of signatures. We will post locations around the city at which Notary Publics will be available at no charge for this purpose. Only a registered voter who is eligible to vote for city council and mayor of Houston may collect signatures and have a petition notarized.
PLEASE REVIEW THE “PETITION INSTRUCTIONS” AND DOWNLOAD THE DOCUMENT PRIOR TO DOWNLOADING THE PETITION ITSELF!
Notarized petitions may be dropped off to a designated location as listed on this website, or mailed to:
No UNequal Rights Coalition
PO Box 692207
Houston, TX. 77269
DOWNLOAD THE PETITION